Fazıl Önder Sönmez
Room / Office:
+90 212 359 7196
+90 212 287 2456
- Ph.D. 1995. Mechanical Engineering, U.C.L.A. USA
- M.S. 1991. Mechanical Engineering, Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey
- B.S. 1988. Mechanical Engineering, Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Prof., Bogazici University, ME Department, 2009 –
- Member of TUBİTAK-TEYDEB: Makine ve İmalat Teknolojileri Grubu, 2006 -
- Assoc. Prof., Bogazici University, ME Department, 2002 - 2009
- Assist. Prof., Bogazici University, ME Department, 1996 - 2002
- Teaching Assistant, UCLA, MAE Department, 1994
- Research Assistant, UCLA, MAE Department, 1994 - 1995
- Research Assistant, Bogazici University, ME Department, 1989 - 1991
- ME 242 Dynamics
- ME 345 Mechanics of Materials
- ME 324 Machine Design I
- ME 424 Machine Design II.
- ME 446 Applied Solid Mechanics
- ME 68A Nonlinear Finite Element Structural Analysis
- AUTO 542 Finite Element Method (graduate)
- ME 626 Mechanics of Composite Materials
- ME 625 Optimum Structural Design
- ME 521 Engineering Design
- Composites design and manufacturing
- Structural optimization
- Modeling and optimization of manufacturing processes
- Analysis of structures by finite elements
- Fazil O. Sonmez, "Optimum Design of Composite Structures: A Literature Survey (1969–2009)", Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, vol. 36 (1), pp. 3-39, JAN 2017
- Murat Koc, Fazil O. Sonmez, Nuri Ersoy, and Kenan Cinar, "Failure behavior of composite laminates under four-point bending", Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 50 (26), pp. 3679-3697, NOV 2016
- Murat Ozturk, Sinem Kocaoglan, and Fazil O. Sonmez, "Concurrent design and process optimization of forging", Computers & Structures, vol. 167, pp. 24-36, APR 2016
- Niyazi Tanlak, Fazil O. Sonmez, and Mahmut Senaltun "Shape optimization of bumper beams under high-velocity impact loads", Engineering Structures, vol. 95, pp. 49-60, JUL 2015
- Berna Balta, Fazil O. Sonmez, and Abdulkadir Cengiz, "Experimental identification of the torque losses in V-ribbed belt drives using the response surface method." Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, vol. 229 (8), JUL 2015
- Berna Balta, Fazil O. Sonmez, and Abdulkadir Cengiz, "Speed losses in V-ribbed belt drives", Mechanism and Machine Theory, vol. 86, pp. 1-14, APR 2015
- Niyazi Tanlak, and Fazil O. Sonmez, "Optimal shape design of thin-walled tubes under high-velocity axial impact loads", Thin-Walled Structures, vol. 84, pp. 302-312, NOV 2014
- Ahmet H. Ertas, and Fazil O. Sonmez, "Design optimization of fiber-reinforced laminates for maximum fatigue life", Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 48 (20), pp. 2493-2503, AUG 2014
- Rengin Kayikci, Fazil O. Sonmez, "Design of composite laminates for optimum frequency response", Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 331(8), pp. 1759-1776, 2012
- Tanlak, N; Sonmez, FO; Talay, E, "Detailed and simplified models of bolted joints under impact loading", Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design, vol. 46(3), pp. 213-225, 2011.
- Mustafa Akbulut, Fazil O. Sonmez, "Design optimization of laminated composites using a new variant of simulated annealing", Computers & Structures, vol. 89(17–18), pp. 1712-1724, 2011
- Ahmet H. Ertas, Fazıl O. Sonmez, "Design optimization of spot-welded plates for maximum fatigue life", Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, vol. 47(4) pp. 413-423, 2011
- Ertas, A. H.; Sonmez, F. O., "Design optimization of composite structures for maximum strength using direct simulated annealing", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 225(1), 28, 2011.
- Sonmez F.O. “Optimal shape design of shoulder fillets for flat and round bars under various loadings,” Proc. IMechE, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 2009, 223(C8): 1741-1754.
- Ertas A.H., F.O. Sonmez, “Optimization of spot-weld joints,” Proc. IMechE, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 2009, 223(C3): 545-555.
- Tumer H., F.O. Sonmez, “Optimum shape design of die and preform for improved hardness distribution in cold forged parts,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2009, 209(3):1538-1549.
- Ertas A.H., O. Vardar, F.O. Sonmez, Z. Solim, “Measurement and assessment of fatigue life of spot-weld joints,” Transactions of ASME; Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 2009, 131(1):011011.
- Akbulut M., F.O. Sonmez, “Optimum design of composite laminates for minimum thickness,” Computers & Structures, 2008, 86: 1974–1982.
- Ertas A.H., F.O. Sonmez, “A parametric study on fatigue strength of spot-weld joints,” Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures, 2008, 31(9): 766–776.
- Sonmez F.O., M. Akbulut, “Process optimization of tape placement for thermoplastic composites,” Composites Part A-Applied Science and Manufacturing, 2007, 38: 2013-2023.
- Sonmez F.O., A. Demir, “Analytical relations between hardness and strain for cold formed parts,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2007, 186: 163-173.
- Sonmez F.O., “Shape optimization of 2D structures using simulated annealing,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 2007, 196: 3279-3299.
- Erdal, O. and F.O. Sönmez, “Optimum Design of Composite Laminates for Maximum Buckling Load Capacity Using Simulated Annealing,” Composite Structures, 2005, 71:45-52.
- Demir, A. and F.Ö. Sönmez, “Prediction of Brinell Hardness Distribution in Cold-Formed Parts,” Transactions of ASME; Journal of Engineering Materials Technology, October 2004, 126: 398-405.
- Çolak, Z.S, F.Ö. Sönmez and V. Kalenderoğlu, “Process Modeling And Optimization of Resistance Welding for Thermoplastic Composites, Journal of Composite Materials, 36(6): 721-744, March 2002. (SCI)
- Sönmez F.Ö. and E. Eyol, “Optimal Post-Manufacturing Cooling Paths for Thermoplastic Composites”, Composites Part A-Applied Science and Manufacturing, 33(3): 301-314, March 2002.(SCI)
- Sönmez F.Ö., H.T. Hahn and M. Akbulut, “Analysis of Process-Induced Residual Stresses in Tape Placement,” Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, 15(6): 525-544, November 2002. (SCI)